Everything You Need to Know for Your First Practice
Where to Go:
- practices meet at Columbia Park Marina
- 1776 Columbia Park Trail, Richland, WA 99352
- New Paddler Nights are the first Monday and Third Wednesday of the Month
- We offer a $10, three practice trial membership
- If you have any questions please contact us. We do our best to structure practices based on the paddlers attending
- Monday and Wednesday practices meet at 5:45 P.M.
- Saturday practice meets at 8:15 A.M.
What to Bring:
- positive attitude
- athletic clothing appropriate for the weather conditions
- sun protection (hat, sunscreen etc.)
- seriously, that's it
- One great aspect of outrigger canoeing is that it requires little specialized gear. The club will provide paddles. If you have your own PFD we encourage you to bring it
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- A huli (capsize) is rare in our practices, however in rough or cold water, Paddlers are required to wear PFDs. A Type III or Type V Inflatable PFD works well. The club can provide one if you do not have your own
- Outrigger Canoeing has a specific paddle. If you have previous OC experience we of course encourage you to bring your preferred blade
- If you are a novice we recommend holding off on purchasing a paddle, there will be opportunities to try out different paddle designs and lengths before investing in your own.
- Check out our resources page for more information on the sport and places for paddle gear